The Application Process:

What is involved in the applicant screening process? What do you check for in a potential tenant?2018-04-09T09:50:40-05:00

Once the Application Form is submitted, Inland will verify employment and contact the previous landlord for a reference.  A routine credit check is done quickly online.  New applicants will be given the results within 48 hours.

I do not want a credit check performed because I’ve heard that multiple requests for credit reports will hurt my credit rating. Can I still apply?2018-04-09T09:50:40-05:00

We require a credit report for an application to be successful.  Our credit report request will not hurt your rating.  If you are applying for a bank loan and they see that Inland has requested a report, they will not deny your loan based on our request.  Bankers are people that understand credit reports and they will not think it unreasonable to see a request (or even several requests) on a credit report for someone who has been looking for a home to rent.

Taking Possession of a Property:

Am I able to pay my security deposit in installments?2018-04-09T09:50:04-05:00

We do not accept security deposit payments in installments.  We require the entire deposit in order to hold a property for a potential tenant.  Without the entire deposit, we must continue to show the property to other potential tenants.

What do I have to do to take possession of a property?2018-04-09T09:50:04-05:00

To take possession, Inland needs to have a full payment of the security deposit and the first month’s rent.  The tenant must also switch utilities over to his or her name.  Then Inland and the new tenant will do a Property Condition Report on the day the keys are turned over to the new tenant.

What is the interest I will earn on my security deposit?2018-04-09T09:50:04-05:00

You will earn a government-set amount of interest on your security deposit.

Am I able to pay extra security deposit if I would like to bring pets into a ‘no-pet’ building?2018-04-09T09:50:04-05:00

Alberta legislation says that the maximum allowed security deposit is equal to one month’s rent.  Inland already collects a full security deposit, so we cannot accept extra security deposit money.  Some owners will accept a ‘Pet Fee,’ but it is non-refundable.

What is Tenant’s Insurance?2018-04-09T09:50:04-05:00

We advise all tenants to purchase tenants insurance to cover losses on contents, liability and alternate living arrangements.

What is the purpose of the In Report (or Inspection Report)?2018-04-09T09:50:04-05:00

The In Report gives a clear picture of the condition of the property before possession.  Inland will take note of everything (except normal wear & tear) for which the new tenant cannot be held responsible when vacating the property.  It is in the best interest of the tenant to complete an accurate In Report.  It eliminates uncertainty and the tenant will only be responsible for any damage done during the tenancy.

Rent Payments:

What are preauthorized payments and how do they work?2018-04-09T09:49:20-05:00

Inland offers a pre-authorized payment system to all tenants and condominium residents.  There is a small form that the tenant fills out and signs.  A cheque marked “VOID” is attached to the back of the form for verification purposes.  The tenant/condo resident allows us to deduct payments (i.e. rent, parking, condo fees etc…) payable to Inland  on the first of each month.  If any information changes, we need one week’s notice for the changes to become effective for the next withdrawal date.  This system removes the need to remember cheques each month and the need to remember when a series of post-dated cheques runs out.  Existing tenants are not required to be on the system, but we encourage them to take advantage of this convenience.  New tenants will be on the pre-authorized payment system.

What should I do if I’m unable to pay my rent on time?2018-04-09T09:49:20-05:00

If you run into problems and you will not be able to pay your rent on time, you should call our office.  We will let you know what your options are before things get out of hand.

Living in your New Home:

Am I allowed to do my own maintenance?2018-02-10T02:33:49-05:00

Inland maintains certain maintenance standards.   If a tenant takes it upon him/herself to do maintenance and it is not done to an acceptable standard, the tenant may be responsible for the cost to redo the work.  Give us a call and we can have it taken care of for you.  If you have certified skills that you would like to use for maintenance on your suite, please let us know.

Moving Out:

When can I expect my security deposit to be refunded?2018-04-09T09:48:09-05:00

Inland will send past tenants refunds for security deposits within ten days of moving out.

I plan to move, but it means that I will break my lease. What happens in this case?2018-04-09T09:48:09-05:00

First, you should read your lease – it will have a clause regarding an early termination of lease.  Some previous leases might be different than the lease currently used.  Generally speaking, you can expect to pay a fee of $150 to $225.  You are also responsible for utilities and rent until the property is re-rented.  If, however, you are being transferred, you might be able to recoup your expenses from your company.  If that is the case, have your employer send Inland written confirmation that you are being transferred.  If your employer is taking responsibility for your expenses they should also let Inland know about that.  An “early termination” is handled on a case by case basis

How much notice do I need to give my Landlord?2018-04-09T09:48:09-05:00

Inland generally deals with fixed-term tenancies (I.e. One-year leases or, sometimes, six-month leases).  If the tenant has a monthly tenancy, the tenant must give the landlord one month’s written notice.  Notice must be given on or before the first day of the one-month notice period.  This means:  If you plan to move into a new home on March 1, you must give your current landlord notice on or before February 1.  You would be responsible for rent and utilities for the entire month of February.  Please remember that you need to provide a calendar month of notice – not 30 day’s notice.

What is the Out Report?2018-04-09T09:48:09-05:00

Inland performs an Out Report after the tenant has vacated the property.  The tenant and landlord will go through the property and make a thorough report of the condition of the property.  The tenant will be responsible for any damage  that has happened since the In Report (except for normal wear & tear).